Some 1.2 million people in northeast Venezuela’s Sucre state have been left without access to fuel and medical supplies after floods damaged the main highway, the state-owned Venezolana de Television reported Monday.

The highway connecting Sucre to the neighbouring Anzoategui has been cut off since last week due to flooding and mudslides, making it impossible to deliver essentials such as gas and surgical supplies, Sucre State Governor Gilberto Pinto Blanco told the television station.

Work to clear the highway will continue until “the main access road is totally recovered,” Pinto twitted.

Heavy rains have damaged 41 roads in Sucre and 28 in Anzoategui, said Venezuelan Transportation Minister Ramon Velasquez Araguayan.

Last week’s flooding and landslides along Venezuela’s northeast coast caused at least seven deaths and severe material damage to the coastal towns of Puerto La Cruz and Guanta, authorities said.